The CSIRO Industry PhD (iPhD) program is delivered through the industry partner, university researchers and CSIRO researchers working closely together to deliver a training experience that is anchored in an industry-specific application problem.
The CSIRO iPhD program was developed in 2017 with input from university and industry partners and seeks to attract high calibre candidates with the vision of developing Australia's future research leaders.
The training experience in this program is built around specific problems identified by the industry partner. The business partner is closely involved in not just identifying the problem to be tackled, but also in helping to guide the direction of the research during the project, and in giving the research candidate deep experience of working in an industrial research environment.
Key aspects of the program include:
- a four-year scholarship program including a six-month industry internship ('in the business')
- students work on projects identified with an industry partner
- supervision by an industry partner, a university partner and CSIRO
- very diverse industry-based project opportunities. Some examples of projects underway: Data capture and analytics in smart cities; Exploration and commercialisation of Australia's edible insects; Biosensor development for early ID of Alzheimer's disease risk; Transforming construction by leveraging IoT and blockchain; Management of fouling for industrial water filtration.
Current university partners are: University of New South Wales, University of Adelaide, Edith Cowan University, Curtin University, Murdoch University and the University of Western Australia.
The program can be offered through any university.
Our iPhD program is specifically designed to support industry-based research training in Australia and improve Australia’s innovation capacity. We are looking for business leaders in large, medium and small enterprise to be a part of this industry-focused program.
As an industry partner you can:
- assist in defining the research project relevant to your business and the selection of the PhD students
- help mentor iPhD students towards a research career in industry
- support the development of PhD students, supervised by some of Australia’s leading researchers, in state-of-the-art facilities
- access new knowledge and support the development of your current and potential future highly skilled workforce
- develop networks with top applied research experts in your industry sector
- potentially, fill your future workforce requirements with highly-skilled researchers who understand your business deeply
- industry partners are required to pay a scholarship top-up to the student working on their project.
Program details for students
The program includes:
- admission to a partner university PhD program
- a structured professional development and training component, delivered by CSIRO and the university
- a project expense and development package
- in addition to working closely with your industry partner on the research project throughout your PhD, your PhD will include a paid six-month ‘in business’ internship with your industry partner to deeply understand their operating environment
- a four-year scholarship package comprising
- Australian Government CSIRO Industry PhD Scholarship or equivalent
- an attractive Top-Up Scholarship.
The eligibility criteria, areas of interest and university and industry partners will be detailed along with the call for scholarship project applications via our careers website.
The CSIRO iPhD program aims to develop applied researchers who will be able to assist Australian industry to innovate and the economy to grow. For this reason, the program is only available to Australian domestic applicants.
Partner with us
Interested in becoming an industry or university partner with us on the CSIRO iPhD program?
For more information contact Duncan Byrne.
Mr Duncan Byrne
Program Manager - Industry PhD (SCIENCE IMPACT & POLICY)