Understanding Australia's variable and changing climate will allow industries and communities to increase their resilience, prepare and respond, particularly in relation to natural disasters. CSIRO Oceans and Atmosphere provides information about the health of the atmosphere, from long-lived greenhouse gases and aerosols that change the heat stored in the atmosphere, right through to hazardous air pollutants that influence human and ecosystem health. We use this information to ensure that our climate and earth system models can accurately simulate the likely impacts of human behaviour on our earth systems into the future.
Sharing our ocean's wealth for the benefit of all Australians requires careful balancing of multiple uses and conservation through planning, management and cooperation. CSIRO Oceans and Atmosphere provides the large-scale multidisciplinary science to inform this use of Australia's marine environment. We develop tools for decision making in coastal regions and provide scientific support to authorities and industries responsible for the sustainable management and use of Australian and international fisheries.
We deliver impact in the following areas
- Climate Science Centre - The CSIRO Climate Science Centre is home to Australia's national capability in atmosphere, ocean and climate model development (including the national weather, climate and Earth System model, ACCESS).
- Coasts and Ocean Research – Coasts and Ocean Research provides scientific knowledge and tools to advise solutions that support sustainable development of Australia's coastal and marine resources, including monitoring and mitigation of environmental impacts, observational and modelling capabilities to assess and anticipate the dynamics and vulnerability of coastal assets, conservation of marine biodiversity and supporting future blue industries.
Meet the Oceans and Atmosphere Leadership Team
- Director - Dr Dan Metcalfe
- A/ Deputy & Science Director - Dr Brett Molony
- Research Director, Climate Science Centre - Dr Jaclyn Brown
- Research Director, Coasts and Ocean Research - Dr Alistair Hobday
- Director, Business Development and Global - Phillipa Ormandy
- A/ Research Operations Manager - Ben Rae